Thursday 15 January 2015

From Marriage to F6 in South Korea

As it states above this piece will document my journey from being a single guy to a married one with a spousal visa (f6) in the space of two weeks.

On the whole it was fairly easy and there were no obstacles as such. The hardest piece of the jigsaw
It wasn't anything like this.
was probably the first, meeting somebody you'd want to spend the rest of your life with. 


Once you and you significant other have decided to take the giant leap into the unknown, then as an expat here in Korea you need to visit your respective Embassy. In my case it was the British Embassy in Seoul which is a little way down from all the other Embassies. If you're marrying a Korean like me then this part could be a solo visit but I took her along so she could walk on hallowed British soil for the first time. Sadly I didn't spy any pictures of The Queen whilst in there, so no bowing or saluting was needed on my part. 

The Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry is a tricky but not difficult process. The lady at the Embassy was very good and talked us through the whole process. We both had to provide proof of identity and any information on previous marriages. If you're marrying a Korean then they'll need to provide their Family Relationship Certificate (가족관계증명서) and Marriage Status Certificate (혼인관계증명서). Both of these forms need translating to English and notarising. There are tons of places in Seoul near the Consular District that provide both of these services but if you need an address then drop me a line. 

Once done at the Embassy then you need to head to Jongno-Gu-Cheong 종로구청 where they have an international marriage counter. We were told that as they were familar with international marriages then they would only require to see the stamp of the British Embassy saying that we are free to marry. However the lady there was ultra keen on her job and made my good lady wife rewrite everything into Korean that we had already translated into English.  You also need two witnesses and we didn't have a single soul with us. The lady informed us that anyone could be our witness, not just friends or family, so the games began. We asked some random Korean guy who pretended he was deaf and mute. I then thought to myself 'bollocks' and nonchantanly approached two soldiers of the US Army, a man and wife as it happened and they were happy to stand witness for us. God Bless America I say. 

After more talk in Korean between my wife and the counter jockey it seemed like the latter was finally satisfied everything was in order. That was it, no bells, confetti or bouquet throwing into a desperate mob of spinsters. As I walked out of the office feeling very underwhelmed, I turned to my wife and had to ask 'are we married now or what? '. We were but it would take a few days for the system to be updated and the paperwork to be ready.

As it happened the paperwork took about four days and could be dispensed at any time day or night from a certificate dispensing machine in Jinju City Hall.  Then we had pretty much everything we needed in order to apply for my F6 visa from my current E2 visa. We gorged on all information we found online and took along everything we could lay our hands on to prove that:

*We were married
* We had our own place to live
* We both have stable well paying jobs
* Have money in the bank
* My family in the UK knew about my marriage
* We spoke a common language

We took reams of paper, documents and copies of work contracts along to Masan Immigration office but most of it wasn't needed. In fact, the head of the office who is the only one dealing with F6 visas wasn't particularly interested in me at all. All he wanted was proof of the marriage, proof that my wife was financially viable and some photos documenting our relationship from day 1. The photos were tricky but after a trip to emart and some wifi printing from my iphone that issue was solved. I then coughed up 100K Won to pay for my new visa and application process. The guy said it could take up to three months but could be as little as three weeks.

Move forward a week and I was on a roll calling Korean call centres and asking why my cell provider hadn't taken a penny off me for three months. I then thought that I'd chance my arm and call immigration to see where my application was. They kindly informed that my application was complete and I was now F6 !

So, it took exactly one week which is unheard of from everything that I'd digested previously. In total in took me 14 and a half days to complete the entire process of marriage and a change onto spousal visa.

Who do I have to thank for this timely transition? I'd like to say that that fact that I take in information and digest like Rain Man was a help. However, Korea is ultra efficient in almost everything and they do here is with the upmost speed.


15 comments:

  1. I don't understand the embassy part. You said it could be a solo visit, however you brought her with you and mentioned that she had to provide some paperwork there as well? I thought the only paperwork at the embassy was for you to get, not the Korean citizen. Do I have to bring my fiance to the embassy with paperwork as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From above: "If you're marrying a Korean then they'll need to provide their Family Relationship Certificate (가족관계증명서) and Marriage Status Certificate (혼인관계증명서). Both of these forms need translating to English and notarising." .

      Your other half doesn't need to be there but those documents need to be provided and translated.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog and very helpful. Is a passport sufficient to obtain the affidavit? Or is a birth certificate requires also? I'm coming to this an a non visa holder. Would this process follow all the same steps? Or is marriage required in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is from the British Embassy email:

      1) Both parties’ passports

      2) If previously married, originals of the Decree Absolute. A Decree Nisi is not accepted for this purpose under any circumstances and in all cases the consular officer handling your application must be satisfied that the previous marriage entered into has been dissolved legally.

      3) Completion of attached form. But please DO NOT sign on this form.

      If one of the parties is KOREAN, we will also require, in original;

      1)Family Relationship Certificate(가족관계증명서) and Marriage Status Certificate(혼인관계증명서).

      These documents can be obtained from a district office anywhere in Korea.

      Both documents must be translated into English and notarised by a local lawyer in Korea

      2) Valid Korean ID card(주민등록증)

      3)Proof of termination of any prior marriage(s).

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ben,
    Thanks for this informative blog. I'm hoping you can answer a question which I cannot seem to find the answer to anywhere on the internet!
    To be eligible for the F6 visa, do you and your spouse need to be living/working in Korea? Myself and my Korean partner currently live and work in Australia, but wish to move to SK under the F6 Visa. Do you know if this is possible? Or do we need to be living in Korea before applying?
    Thanks,
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you go Craig? I've applied for F6 last week, we are living in Australia.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ben... Quick question... F6... you can apply for that HERE in Korea? You dont haveto LEAVE the country to apply?

    ReplyDelete
  8. After being in relationship with him for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: drosedebamenspellhome@gmail.com you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CAN NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT YOU SIR HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS:drosedebamenspellhome@gmail.com CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEM




    ReplyDelete

  9. AM A LIVING WITNESS AND A BENEFICIARY OF DR OGUNAMEN LOVE SPELL, PREGNANCY SPELL AND MARRIAGE REUNITING, CONTACT HIM NOW FOR YOUR MARRIAGE AND RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS SOLUTION WITHIN 7 DAYS OF CONTACTING HIM

    My name is bella am from BELARUS, am a woman who loves and cherish my husband more than any other thing you can imagine on earth surface. My husband was so lovely and caring after 9 years of marriage he was seriously ill and the doctor confirm and said he has a kidney infection that he needed a kidney donor, that was how I started searching for a good Samaritan who can help,doctor has given me a periodic hour that he will live just 8 days left, that was how I ask the doctor if I can be of help to my husband that was how he carried out the test,the confirming was successful, I was now having this taught that since 9 years now we got married I have not be able to get pregnant can I be able to get pregnant again after the surgery? That was the question I ask the doctor, he never answer his response was do you want to lost your husband? I immediately reply no I can't afford to loose him. After the operation i and my husband came back home and live happily as husband and wife should. After 7 months my husband came home with another lady telling me that is our new wife that will give us kids and take care of us, that was how I was confused and started crying all day, That was not enough soonest my husband ran away with the new find love and never keep in contact with me. Since then I was confuse don't know what to do that was how I went back to the doctor and tell him everything, he told me that, this is not just an ordinary thing that he have heard of us situation so many times but he knows a man who is a voodoo spell caster who can help me out of my present situation that he has directed more 6 woman to him and they all came back with positive testimonials about him that I should tell him all my problem that he can help me out that was how i contacted him and i did as instructed. After 7 days and I have done what he ask me to do, my husband started searching for me that was how we settle he also told me not to worry that I will get pregnant, this month making it the fifth Month I contacted him am now 3 months pregnant. These great spell cater is a great man, if you are in any kind of problem you can contact him here on his email ugbegundenger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello everyone. I want to recommend (WORLDCYBERHACK) on instagram or WhatsApp : +12678773020 for helping me getting access to my girlfriends mobile phone. He was reliable and trustworthy. you can contact him if you need help. He will surely help you. I am grateful I met him

    ReplyDelete



  11. APPLY FOR URGENT LOAN TO HELP YOURSELF OR FAMILY PEOPLE?

    Do You need We provide personal Business loans?
    debt consolidation, home improvements Loan?,
    Loan To start a new business.
    Car loans, Mortgage loans Business Loans?
    International Loans Personal Loans?
    Apply for a Loan from $3, 000.00 to $10, 000.000
    with no collateral required
    low interest rate as low as 3%
    Email: challotloan@gmail.com
    Whatsapp: +1(301) 329-5298

    ReplyDelete



  12. APPLY FOR URGENT LOAN TO HELP YOURSELF OR FAMILY PEOPLE?

    Do You need We provide personal Business loans?
    debt consolidation, home improvements Loan?,
    Loan To start a new business.
    Car loans, Mortgage loans Business Loans?
    International Loans Personal Loans?
    Apply for a Loan from $3, 000.00 to $10, 000.000
    with no collateral required
    low interest rate as low as 3%
    Email: challotloan@gmail.com
    Whatsapp: +1(301) 329-5298

    ReplyDelete